Academic Certification POC
Hi All,

I'm looking at developing a POC on composer for academic certification.  I'm a noob, while I can think out the requirements, I need help translating that into composer.  Is this the right place to find help? 

Thanks,

Kevin
Maybe we could do a Google Hangouts and I could help you get the basics up. What type of information would you like included in the certificate?
Thanks!! That would be awesome. Here is where I got in my planning so far:

RECIPIENT
FirstName A name given to an individual at birth, baptism, or during another naming ceremony, or through legal change.
MiddleName A secondary name given to an individual at birth, baptism, or during another naming ceremony.
LastSurname The name borne in common by members of a family.
OtherName Other names (e.g., alias, nickname, previous legal name) associated with a person.
BirthData The set of elements that capture relevant data regarding a person's birth, including birth date and place of birth.
StudentIdentificationCode A coding scheme that is used for identification and record-keeping purposes by schools, social services, or other agencies to refer to a student.
PrimaryEmailAddressIndicator An indication that the electronic mail address should be used as the principal electronic mail address for an individual.

AWARD
HonorDescription A description of the type of academic distinctions earned by or awarded to the individual.
AcademicHonor Academic distinctions earned by or awarded to the student.
AcademicHonorCategory Designation of the category name, e.g. Diploma, Bachelor, Masters, Doctorate
AcademicHonorSubject The description of the content or subject area of an assessment.
AcademicHonorLevel# Designation of the level of study 1 - 8
LocalCourseCode The local code assigned by the School that identifies the course offering provided for the instruction of students.
AcademicAwardIssueDate Date of award completion

ISSUER
IssuedInstitutionName The full, legally accepted name of the institution.
WebSite The public web site address (URL) for the EducationOrganization.
PrimaryEmailAddressIndicator An indication that the electronic mail address should be used as the principal electronic mail address for an institution.
IssuedInstitionAddress Address of awarding institute
IssuedInstitutionCountry Country of awarding institution
IssuedByRegistra Name of the registra
SchoolCategoryType The category of school. For example: High School, Middle School, Elementary School, University
EarnedAcademicCredits Total number of credits awarded
RevocationList If the award needs to be rescinded

Maybe some other fields will be needed to support a workable solution?
I would make Recipient and Issuer participants. Award will be an asset. I think creating a smart contract that will allow the Issuer to approve an award would be necessary.

Would create another asset called AwardVerification like this:
Code:
AwardVerification identfied by VerificationID {
  o String VerficationID
  --> Recipient recipient
  --> Issuer      issuer
}

Might be necessary to add a boolean value to the Award called Verified with a default of false. That way when an Issuer approves the Award the smart contract will change the value of Verified to true.
That makes sense. I had RevocationList which I thought could be used for awards which are time-limited or become invalidated after issue.

I was also thinking about permissions. I guess the institutions should decide which other institutions get access to the ledger, to ensure fake schools and universities don't get access? Also, Students should only get read access?, as well as accrediting organizations and employers, but the student should authorise an employer to view their awards, whereas accrediting organizations wouldn't need permission.

Is there a way we work together in composer?
Quote:I was also thinking about permissions. I guess the institutions should decide which other institutions get access to the ledger, to ensure fake schools and universities don't get access? Also, Students should only get read access?, as well as accrediting organizations and employers, but the student should authorise an employer to view their awards, whereas accrediting organizations wouldn't need permission.

In the permissions.acl file it is possible to set permissions in a variety of ways. In Fabric 1.2 (Composer still uses 1.1) there are new features that also allow private data that won't be visible to other nodes.
Excellent, thanks for that.

Do you have or know of a template on which you can layout each setting so that you can draft out the application settings and then use it to code the solution?
You are able to build your application in the composer playground, https://composer-playground.mybluemix.net/login
I had a go at it, but now I'm lost.  What should I do next?  I zipped the bna file up and attached it.

Thanks

Attached Files
.zip   arm.zip (Size: 3.08 KB / Downloads: 1)